Sunday, March 16, 2008

Spreading The Word


I've been reading and posting on the Etsy.com Forums in hopes of picking up some marketing tips, and also to get exposure for my avatar (logo). A few days ago I learned about "Animoto" in the forums, and made my first video. I've remixed it several times now and then uploaded it to YouTube to draw more viewers.

I also learned about StumbleUpon.com, and listed my shop as one of my favorite finds. (I hope that isn't bad form!) I agreed to give a "thumbs up" to other Etsy artisans, and asked them to do the same for me.

Since I joined Etsy last month I've paid for space in the Main Showcase once, and the Quilt Showcase once. I also posted a three day Treasury list. I've only sold one quilt, but I'm encouraged by the number of people who marked my shop as a favorite, and by the positive comments I've gotten from other sellers. I'm already seeing MUCH more traffic on Etsy than I ever got on eBay.

Lastly, I'm trying to figure out how to use this blog to attract customers. I have no idea how to go about that, but I'll study up!

I can't take too much time away from quiltmaking, but I recognize the need for some attention to advertsing and marketing. Locally I can rely on word of mouth and repeat business; hopefully someday that will be true online as well.