Saturday, July 05, 2008

Quilts and Cats






If you are a potential quilt buyer, please read no further! This post is meant for you quilters. You know who you are, and I know what you are hiding! Apparently, quiltmakers are not supposed to like animals. At least, most of the item descriptions I read proudly announce: "Made in a pet-free and smoke-free environment." Well, smoke-free I can believe. But frankly, quilts are cat magnets, and so are quilters, so I just can't believe all those "pet-free" claims. I imagine I know more quilters than the average person, and I know that most of them have pets. In fact, most of them can probably produce photos similar to those above! But still, those ads keep saying "pet-free."

I do try to keep the cats off the quilts-in-progress, but I don't ban them from the studio while I'm sewing/quilting. And, honestly, they seem very interested in all phases of the creative process. If only they had opposable thumbs, they'd be excellent assistants. And for me, one of the perks of working at home is enjoying their companionship. I wash and double rinse all my quilts upon completion,and tumble them dry. From that point on they are kept in a strictly imposed cat-free zone. (All of the quilts shown belong to family. None will be sold while I'm still alive! ) No customer has ever complained about fur or dander on my quilts, so I guess this works. I don't mention the cats in item descriptions, but I don't claim to be pet-free, either. Do you? Are you?